The Progress Toward Tenure Review is conducted internally during the fall semesters for all non-tenured assistant and associate professors who are not going through Probationary or Promotion and Tenure Review. The Progress Toward Tenure Review is prospective by estimating your future promise in the context of the unit’s criteria for promotion and tenure. This review is different from the standard annual performance evaluation, which summarizes past performance and for which there may be different criteria. The chair/director provides feedback about your professional development and progress toward earning tenure. Although a written summary of the feedback is required (ACD 506-03), it often follows a more detailed conversation between you and your chair/director. From that perspective, the Progress Toward Tenure Review is essentially a goal-setting exercise contextual to Promotion and Tenure criteria.
Questions to consider when going through Progress Toward Tenure
- What are my unit’s criteria for promotion and tenure?
- How does my unit conduct Progress Toward Tenure Reviews? Who do I ask?
- Is there anything I need to prepare in advance of the review?
- What concerns do I have about teaching, research or service?
- Do I have a mentor? Have I asked my unit head about getting one?
- What am I doing to familiarize colleagues outside of ASU with my work?
- How does/might my work contribute to the unit, college and university’s priorities, mission and vision?
- Unit notifies junior faculty member (“candidate”) as to what materials are needed in advance of the Progress Toward Tenure Review. Requested materials vary from unit to unit. Some ask for a CV while others ask for a CV and personal statement. Units should ask for the same materials from each candidate going through Progress Toward Tenure in a given year.
- Candidate submits materials to unit (as appropriate).
- Unit follows whatever internal process they have in place for Progress Toward Tenure Reviews. Such processes may be defined in the unit bylaws. All candidates for Progress Toward Tenure Review should follow the same internal process.
- Unit head meets with each Progress Toward Tenure candidate to provide feedback on his/her professional development and progress toward earning tenure. Ideally, the feedback will be clear and direct regarding strengths and weaknesses of the candidate’s teaching, research and service.
- Unit head provides candidate with a written summary of the feedback.
- Candidate signs the written summary.**
- Unit provides candidate with a copy and sends electronic copy to the Office of Academic Personnel in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences.
** Units are welcome to use the following on the last page of the Progress Toward Tenure Review written summary. It may make signing easier.
By signing below, I acknowledge receipt of my Progress Toward Tenure Review
(Candidate’s name) Date
Guide to Faculty Reviews at ASU