Science and Society
- You must take at least six credit hours.
- At least one course must be upper division (300-499).
- Only one course may be used to meet the major requirements, major related fields, or minor requirements; courses taken to fulfill this requirement cannot be used to fulfill other requirements in the major, related fields in the major, minor or the University General Studies - except the literacy and critical inquiry (L) and the awareness areas (C, G, H).
- Students must receive a letter grade of C or above in both courses.
- The combined courses must fulfill all learning goals (1, 2, & 3) of the requirement. Learning Goals are listed at the bottom of the page.
- To qualify, the course must be taken under the same course title as listed on the approved or available lists. Note that omnibus courses numbered 194, 294, 394, 494 and certain other special topic courses such as ENG 469, HST 201, JUS 200, POS 426, WST 498 change titles and not all titles have been approved.
- If an instructor is specified you must take the course with that instructor to earn credit, whether the course is an omnibus course or not. If no instructor is specified then any ASU instructor qualifies.
- Not all of the possible course combinations will fulfill this requirement.
- The student is responsible for selecting courses from the list of approved courses that meet the requirements.
- Some of these courses will have prerequisites that you may need to take first. Check the current catalog for prerequisite information.
- All questions about these requirements should be directed to your departmental advisor. It is also strongly recommended that you discuss your course selections with your departmental advisor before you register.
- Advisors that have questions about this requirement may contact our advising office.
List of Available Science and Society Courses - The listing of available courses includes all courses that are approved and offered in the current semester.
Spring 2014 Available Courses for Tempe Students
Spring 2014 Available Courses for ASUOL Students
Summer 2014 Available Courses for Tempe Students
Summer 2014 Available Courses for ASUOL Students
Fall 2014 Available Courses for Tempe Students
Fall 2014 Available Courses for ASUOL Students
Course Placement Request Form
After you have registered for the Science and Society course, please check your Degree Audit Report (DARS). If the course is not in the requirement, please fill out and submit the Course Placement Request Form. Allow five to 10 business days for your request to be processed. You are limited to five submissions, only submit each request once.
Approved Science and Society List – The list of all approved courses for Science and Society.
- Understand the reciprocal relationship between science and societies (local, regional, national and/or global).
- Develop a critical understanding of the scientific principles underlying some of the major topical scientific issues in the public domain.
- Demonstrate the ability to formulate, communicate and defend well-informed views of their own concerning the issues studied.
Course Proposals - Faculty Only
Faculty who wish to propose additional courses for this list will need to download the Science and Society Proposal form, and submit these documents to Jenny Smith. Proposals will be reviewed by the Curriculum Committee.