CLAS Residential College
Why live in a CLAS Residential College?
- Leaving home for college is a huge change. Living in the CLAS Residential College ensures you are with a like-minded community of first-year students who share your concerns, challenges and classes.
- Arizona State University is among the largest universities in the country. This means you have access to an overwhelming number of opportunities. It also means you will appreciate the resources in the CLAS Residential Colleges that help you navigate and negotiate all of the amazing opportunities available to you.
- The College of Liberal Arts and Sciences is the largest college on campus and home to over 65 majors. The CLAS Residential College operates as a central location for informing first-year students about departmental activities and connecting them to faculty.
- Upper-class students are great resources for first-year students. The CLAS Residential College recruits well-rounded, enthusiastic upper-class students as Community Mentors who live on each floor throughout the halls. These upper-class students have been trained to actively support first-year residents in all facets of the successful collegiate experience.
- ASU has extensive student support services. Community Mentors educate first-year students about how and why to use these services.
- ASU has events and programs all over campus. CLAS Residential College staff help filter information for the most effective use of resources by first-year residents. Community Mentors design events and programs specifically for their residents.
- Students thrive in supportive communities. They develop a sense of identity, a sense of belonging and a means for connecting with multiple individuals and communities that maximize their collegiate experience. CLAS Residential Colleges engage transitional development and provides the foundation for transformative connections.
The Liberal Arts and Sciences Residential Colleges strive to reinforce the academic mission of the college by supporting students’ transition to college level learning and by building connections between and among students and the rest of the university.
We offer first-year students a unique opportunity to enrich their academic experience. We promote learning beyond the walls of the classroom by providing opportunities for students to share common interests and develop a support system.
The activities in CLAS Residential Colleges are designed to connect students in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences to university life by fostering relationships with peers, faculty and advisors.
Who is your Community Mentor and what can they do for you?
Community Mentors live in the halls to help support your first-year Sun Devil experience. They are academically successful and highly-engaged undergraduates with majors in the College of Liberal Arts & Sciences (CLAS). Currently, there is one Community Mentor for every 23 residents so you know you’ll always have one nearby. Most floors have two Community Mentors. Community Mentors go through a competitive application and selection process. They are representative of the best CLAS students from a wide variety of hometowns, majors and backgrounds.
Community Mentors are there for all things big and small. From putting in a facilities work order, to helping you study for a math test, finding a gym partner, playing video games or to just having someone to talk to your CM’s are a positive presence only a few doors down. Community Mentors also plan programs to connect you to campus and always know about other fun things happening at ASU. They also serve to maintain the safety of the residence halls and ensure that your community is a great place to live.
Make sure you say hello to your Community Mentors when you move in – they are some of the best people to know at ASU!
How to Enroll
- All first-time incoming freshmen admitted to majors in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences are eligible to live in one of the buildings housing the CLAS Residential College.
- Complete your ASU Housing and Dining Confirmation. Select the 'College of Liberal Arts and Sciences Community' of your choice.
- McClintock / CLAS Commons
- Palo Verde West / CLAS Hall
- San Pablo / CLAS Academy
- Manzanita / CLAS Tower
If you have questions about the CLAS Residential College, contact Oscar Borboa in the Office of Student and Academic Programs, College of Liberal Arts and Sciences (480-965-6506 or Oscar Borboa).