A new beginning in Armstrong Hall

Creating a student-centric space for master learners

A transformed space for student success

In 2018, the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences will take up a new home in Armstrong Hall. The transformed space will redefine the college’s commitment to student success, from a prospective student’s first campus visit to a graduate’s walk across the stage for a diploma and beyond as an engaged alum. This move will mark a significant advancement in the college’s pursuit to create master learners, who will overcome any challenge and thrive in any career or opportunity.

This project furthers the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences’ goal to attain a national standing by providing the college with a consolidated home. The new space will enhance the college’s instructional and research effectiveness. In addition, the infrastructure upgrades will create more energy-efficient mechanical systems and address operational and code-compliance issues.

A source for inspiration

  • Dedicated spaces for prominent donor and distinguished alumni recognition
  • Remodeled classrooms will include the newest technologies and learning platforms
  • Assorted workspaces for students and community to foster collaboration

Unparalleled student support

  • Clustered advising hubs for each division: humanities, social sciences, natural sciences
  • Centralized internship and career services with a post-graduation hub and advising
  • Sophisticated writing and language learning centers alongside peer tutoring spaces

The Futures Center

Invaluable preparation for professionals and leaders

The College of Liberal Arts and Sciences recognizes our central role in preparing our students for life after graduation. The Futures Center will impart students with practical knowledge and abilities to become well-rounded professionals who are ready for the next phases of life, whether that’s entering the workforce, continuing education or gaining non-academic and life skills.

  • Cultivated professional development, interactive networking and civic engagement
  • Encouraged collaboration between students, alumni, businesses, non-profits and community
  • Varied lectures, seminars, career expos and more to prepare students for the workforce

Armstrong Hall Numbers

May 1

substantial date of completion

98,471

total square footage

350

person lecture hall

How can our alumni and community supporters be involved?

As we establish a physical space in Armstrong Hall for our students, alumni and local professionals to collaborate and learn about career development and civic engagement opportunities, we encourage our alumni and community supporters to get involved. There’s many ways you can make a positive impact through donating your time and expertise and helping fund key initiatives for the new space.

  • Give lectures
  • Host seminars
  • Mentor students
  • Create workshops
  • Lead networking events
  • Provide training
  • Offer internships
  • Hold career expos
  • Participate in panels
  • Help fund key initiatives

Transforming our vision into physical existence

As we establish a physical space in Armstrong Hall for our students, alumni and local professionals to collaborate and learn about career development and civic engagement, we invite our friends of the college, community leaders, alumni and corporate partnerships to get involved. You can learn about ways to get involved, naming opportunities in Armstrong Hall and see the floor plan of the new space. For more information, contact Bill Kavan, the senior director of development, by phone at 480-965-7546 or by email at bill.kavan@asu.edu.

Learn more about donor naming opportunities

Who was Armstrong?

Armstrong Hall was named after John S. Armstrong. As the second youngest representative in the Thirteenth Legislative Assembly, Armstrong was appointed as chair of the House Education Committee. He introduced the legislative bill to establish higher education in the Territory of Arizona in 1885, including the Territorial Normal School at Tempe.

In 1901, the Arizona legislature instituted the official name as Tempe Normal School. Over the years, the school name has changed to Tempe State Teachers College, Arizona State Teachers College and Arizona State College. In 1958, the name was changed to Arizona State University through a vote of the people, which recognized its academic standing and prominence.